Peonies are easy to grow and among the longest lasting perennials we can plant in our gardens. It is wonderful to anticipate their late spring flowers all year long.
Here are some of my favorite varieties:
- Sarah Bernhardt: My sentimental favorite. Scented, double pink blooms. An especially romantic peony.
- Bowl of Beauty: Ruffly pink perfection.
- Kansas: Gorgeous deep, pinkish red.
- Duchesse De Nemours: an elegant white peony. I have several of these in my flower garden.
- Bartzella: This pale yellow peony is a special intersectional hybrid, which means it’s an especially garden-worthy plant. These hybrids are a cross between regular herbaceous peonies like those listed above and tree peonies. They die back just like ordinary peonies, but their stems are strong and never need staking.